Activities and Performance of Dhaka Stock Exchange Ltd.
The Dhaka Stock Exchange is the prime bourse of the country. Through its highly fault-tolerant automated trading system, the exchange can offer facilities for smooth transparent and highly efficient provisions for secondary market activities of shares, debentures and wide varieties of others securities. Managed by a 24 members strong Board of Directors, the overall operations of the exchange is professionally run by a team of qualified executives. The Dhaka Stock Exchange is the rallying point for enterprises to raise capital in Bangladesh. With a nationwide membership of over 238 brokers and dealers, DSE espouses shared vision of Bangladeshi businesses all over. The exchange maintains the lead in providing the perfect launch pad to raise capital by mobilizing savings of general people to set up large industries.
1.1 Brief History of DSE
The DSE was first incorporated as the East Pakistan Stock Exchange Association Limited on
April 28, 1954. However, formal trading began in 1956, 196 securities listed on the DSE with a total paid up capital of about Taka 4 billion. On June 23, 1962 it was renamed as East Pakistan Stock Exchange Limited. After 1971, the trading activities of the Stock Exchange remained suppressed until 1976 due to the liberation war and the economic policy pursued by the government. The trading activities resumed in 1976 with only 9 companies listed having a paid up capital of Taka 137.52 million on the stock exchange. In May 13, 1964 it was renamed as Dacca Stock Exchange Limited. In 1986 it was renamed as a Dhaka Stock Exchange Limited.
As of 30th December, 2008 there were 412 Securities listed on the DSE with a market capitalization of Taka 1043.80 billion. Total turnover value as on December 30, 2008 was tk. 4.31 billion.
Major Events of DSE:
|Incorporated as East Pakistan Stock Exchange Association Ltd.:||28th April 1954|
|Start of Formal Trading:||1956|
|Renamed as East Pakistan Stock Exchange Ltd.:||23rd June 1962|
|Renamed as Dacca Stock Exchange Ltd.:||13th May 1964|
|Trading Suspended under new State Policy:||16th December 1971|
|Trading Resumed in Bangladesh:||16 August 1976|
|Starting Of All Share price Index calculation:||16th September 1986|
|Share price Indices calculation on basis of IFC Designed formula:||1st November 1993|
|Starting of Automated trading:||10th August 1998|
|Starting Of DSE-20 Index calculation:||January 2001|
|Starting Of DSE General Index calculation:||27th November 2001|
|Start of CDS through CDBL:||24th January 2004|
|DSE All share price Index (DSI) Re introduced:||28th March 2005|
|Owner||Dhaka Stock Exchange Limited|
|No. of listings||671|
|Market Cap||US$ 15 billion|
|Volume||US$ 1.43 billion|
|Indexes||DSE 20 Index
Dhaka Stock Exchange Ltd. is a public limited company under the Companies Act 1994. It is a Self Regulatory Organization and its activities are regulated by
Memorandum & Articles of Association
Own (set of) regulations and Bye-laws
Companies Act 1994
Securities and Exchange Ordinance 1969
Securities and Exchange Rules 1987
Other relevant laws of Bangladesh.
DSE has two tier of organizational setup – the Board of Directors called the Council who all are responsible for policy making and the other level is the management committee who all are responsible for conducting day to day operations and internal management of the DSE and also to implement the policies as formulated by the Council.
Council: The Council is responsible for policy making only. It consists of 24 members by Article 74 (1) as mentioned below.
- 12 councilors are to be elected from members.
- 12 selected councilors.
- One councilor to be nominated by the Ministry of Finance (Finance Division) not below the rank and status of Joint Secretary.
- One councilor to be nominated by the Bangladesh Bank from amongst its officers of or above the rank of General Manager.
- President of institute of Chartered Accountants of Bangladesh, ex-officio.
- President of Federation of Bangladesh Chamber of Commerce and Industry, ex-officio.
- President of Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce and Industry, ex-officio.
- President of Dhaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry, ex-officio.
- One councilor to be nominated by the Ministry of Industry not below the rank and status of joint Secretary.
- One councilor to be nominated by the Ministry of Commerce not below the rank and status of joint Secretary.
- President of Supreme Court Bar Association, ex-officio.
- Head of the Department Finance/ Economics, Dhaka University, ex-officio.
13 DSE Management
As per Article 105B, the management is totally separated from the Council. A highly qualified and trained professional Management Team is running Day to day operations and the Chief Executive Officer is the head of Management Team of the Exchange. The Management team runs independently under policies set by the Board of Directors. Other members are the Secretary, Financial controller and IT-Director.
Presently DSE has 238 members who are the Shareholders of this Public Limited Company, having last quoted price of Tk300 million. The members are licensed by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for conducting trading as stock dealer or broker. Membership to the bourse is to foreigners.
1.5 Functions of DSE
The Major functions are as follows:
- Listing of companies.
- Providing the market place for trading of listed securities, settlement of trading.
- Publication of daily index and Monthly Review etc.
- Monitoring the activities of listed Companies.
- Listing of Companies.(As per Listing Regulations)
- Providing the screen based automated trading of listed Securities.
- Settlement of trading.(As per Settlement of Transaction Regulations)
- Gifting of share / granting approval to the transaction/transfer of share outside the trading system of the exchange (As per Listing Regulations 42)
- Market Administration & Control.
- Market Surveillance.
- Publication of Monthly Review.
- Monitoring the activities of listed companies. (As per Listing Regulations).
- Investor’s grievance Cell (Disposal of complaint bye laws 1997).
- Investors Protection Fund (As per investor protection fund Regulations 1999)
- Announcement of Price sensitive or other information about listed companies through online.
- The Clearing and Settlement module provides the management of trade from the point of entry into the Settlement Pool trade database until it has been delivered and settled and removed from the Settlement Pool. It consists of three major business processes.
1.6 Divisions & Departments and their Activities
Dhaka Stock Exchange Ltd. (DSE) is a very reputed and important organization in the financial sector of Bangladesh. It is being proved to be an excellent enterprise for-
Being action oriented
Promoting managerial autonomy and entrepreneurship
Paying close attention to the needs of officers and employees.
Having a simple organization structure
The head of every department is charged with the responsibility to take the necessary actions to make it possible for each officer and employee to contribute to his best to the performance of the group or department, which ultimately will lead to the fulfillment of corporate goal- the efficient operation of the securities market of the country.
At present DSE Performs its functions through four divisions with 26 departments. The divisions are:
- Administration Division
- Operation Division
- Finance Division
- Information and Communication Division.
(A). ADMINISTRATION DIVITION:
The Administration Division of DSE runs with the goal of providing possible assistance to all other departments in their smooth operation. The number of member firms in DSE has been increased from 195 to 230 in recent days. The Administration Division is involved in all day affairs administrative activities and all works of the CEO’s Secretariat. This department also arranges training programs offered by DSE and SEC.
The Executive in each part will report to respective Senior Executive and each Senior Executive will report to Manager. Manager will be responsible to AGM, AGM; will be responsible to DGM, Admin and DGM; Admin will finally be responsible to CEO through GM, Admin. The Departments of this Division are:
- Membership Affairs
- Board Affairs
- HRM, Admin & Training Affairs
- Logistic, Maintenance & Protocol Department
- Research, Development &Information
- Publication Department
- Public Relation Department
- Security Department
- DSE Training Academy
- Personal office in CEO.
- Functions of Membership Affairs:
· Registration of every DSE Broker/Dealer under the Membership regulation of Security Exchange commission (SEC).
· Completion of regulatory formalities regarding the transfer of existing membership (share).
· Yearly renewal of registration of all membership from SEC.
· Competition of all formalities regarding the registration of new members by SEC.
· Collection and preservation of yearly audited Balance Sheets of member houses and submission of one copy to SEC.
· Completion of all formalities regarding the registration of new/fresh authorizes and sending to SEC for registration.
· Renewal of registration of existing authorized representatives from SEC
· Registration of authorized switched off from one member house to another.
· Maintenance of updated information regarding all the members through Database
· Maintenance of all member files and all letters, documents, etc. related to members.
· Communication with members for members for training provided by DSE
- Functions of Board Affairs:
· Contact with the CEO and Board of Directors and set up the schedule of Board meeting
· Preparation of minutes of the Board meetings and Committee meetings and get those minutes signed by the CEO and Board of Directors
· Communication with Securities and Exchange Commission regarding the decisions of the Board as per requirement of the Board and SEC.
· Preparation and maintenance of all documents relating to Board meeting and Committee meeting.
· Forwarding of letters, documents, etc. to SEC, Member firms and other institutions.
· Receiving and filling of all documents, letters, etc. from SEC, member firms and other institutions.
· Issuance of departmental circular, IT announcement, etc.
· Coordination of all activities relating to the maintenance of Investor’s protection fund
· Any other action as required by CEO.
- Functions of HRM, Admin & Training Affairs:
· Filling and keeping filed positions in the organization structure.
· Identification of job requirements and selection, recruitment, placing and planning the careers of existing and new officers’ employees in accordance with job requirements.
· Provision of training and otherwise development of both candidates and current job holders so that they can perform tasks effectively and efficiently.
· Continues check up of attendance and leave status of officers and employees and reporting to the CEO.
· Submission of Annual Confidential Report (ACR) of all employees to the CEO.
· Maintenance of updated information regarding all officers and employees
Training Programs on different Grounds are arranged here, likely;
A. Authorized Representative Training.
B. New Member Training.
C. New Authorized Representative Training.
D. Investors awareness Training.
E. DSE Employee Training (Local & Foreign)
F. Automated Clearing & Settlement Training.
Moreover, additional training programs are arranged if any inclusion in the Capital Market.
- Logistic, Maintenance & Protocol Department:
Logistic, Maintenance and Protocol Department of DSE is involved in providing all types of logistic and protocol services as per requirement.
· Collections of member’s dues.
· Preparation of bills for listing fees.
· Collection of listing fees.
· Follow up of listing fees realization and receivables from listed companies.
· Maintenance of liaison with banks.
· Dealing with important matters and L/C when necessary.
· Net capital balance collection from members and reporting to SEC.
· Any other duties as and when required.
· Insurance of members and DSE staff.
· Supervision send assurance of the logistic and supply chain of DSE.
· Procurement/purchase of logistic items to run smoothly.
· Monitoring the responsibilities of logistic support units.
Functions of Maintenance:
· Maintenance 0f 1250 KVA substation (1250 KVA transformer, 11 KV H.T switch gear, 2000 ALT 400 Emergency control panel).
· Maintenance of 250 KVA & 30 KVA generators.
· Maintenance voltage stabilizer of IT main server & lift power supply.
· Maintenance of lift.
· Maintenance of Photocopier.
· Maintenance of power distribution at all the floors in 9/E and 9/F, DSE.
· Maintenance of the PABX system.
· Maintenance of air cooler of DSE office.
· Taking care of all office, toilet & lighting of 12 floors in DSE.
· Maintenance of all types of electrical applications and supervision of related activities.
· Maintenance of pump (water supply).
5. Research, Development & Information Department
The Research & Library Department is concerned with providing assistance to all types of research work and supervising the DSE library.
Functions of Research, Development & Information Department:
· Preparing database for all listed companies.
· Supporting to teachers and students in their research works and projects by providing necessary data listed companies.
· Distribution of required information to members and investors to meet up their quarries regarding listed companies, any regulation, etc.
· Inform the listing department of any announcement regarding company degradation, share addition, etc. which the listing Department sends to IT for announcement.
· Provision of data and information for publication & Public Relation Department for any publication of DSE like Monthly review, Annual report, Profile, Diary, etc.
· Submission of monthly data regarding market trade to SEC.
· Regular provision of data to SEC as per requirement.
- Publication Department
Preparation and printing of –
· Monthly review (with half yearly).
· Annual report.
· DSE Profile.
· Members Directory.
· Company Directory.
· All gazette notification published by BG press.
· Supervision of Paper citing.
· Co-ordination with Press and Electronic Media.
· Conduct the Media and others meeting.
· Press release and other related issues.
· Maintenance of all kinds of information
- Security Department
There is another important section is Security Section. Executive, Security supervisor, Assistant security supervisor and some guards are working there.
Functions of Security Department:
§ Preparing roster of duties for all the security guards of DSE and Security Company.
§ Regular check up of arrangements for physical security to ensure a satisfactory security system.
§ Arrangement of security protection for VIP, VVIP and foreign? Dignitaries visiting DSE.
§ Surprise check of security by day and night for strict maintenance of the security system.
§ Continuous co-operation and communication with police department and other law enforcement agencies.
(B). FINANCE DIVISION:
Finance Division deals with all activities relating to the preparation & maintenance of general accounts and clearing accounts and for assistance to the Deputy Financial controller in the budgetary control of DSE. The Departments of Finance Division are:
1. General Account Department
2. Clearing Account Department
3. DSE Full Service DP
4. Clearing House (Share)
FUNCTION OF GENERAL ACCOUNTS
- Preparation and maintenance of books of accounts (Journal Entries, Ledger Books, Cash Books, Income & Expenditure Accounts, Balance Sheet & Cash flow Statement.)
- Preparation of monthly Financial Statement.
- Preparation of salary payroll.
- Bank reconciliation.
- Controlling of all software/ Database relating to general accounts, Petty Cash, Clearing, Salary and Members Bill.
- Scheduling of all expenses.
- Preparation of all kinds of payment note.
- Maintenance of asset register.
- Submission of early financial statement to SEC.
- Maintenance of member accounts and Provision of accounting data for members about their own accounts as per requirement.
CLEARING ACCOUNT DEPARTMENT
Clearing Accounts is concerned with the monitoring and verification of clearing accounts related activities. The main function of clearing accounts is:
- Margin Settlement
- Data collection and processing and preparation of statements.
- Collection and disbursement of payments.
- Demoted spot trade settlement.
- EX DP
- Preparation & Accounts.
Settlement of Member’s Margin:
- Collection of security deposit as margin within trade.
- Disbursement of security after maturity.
- Maintenance of margin account such as demoted shares, FDR, Bank Guarantee.
- Preparation of charges against margin.
Data collection and processing and preparation of statements
- Collection & processing of trade related data and for preparation of necessary statements.
- Calculation of Lagal charge, Hawla charge and Tax at source.
- Preparation of Receivable and Payable Statements after all adjustments.
- Preparation of Accounting Statements.
Collection and disbursement of payments:
- Collection of payment from selling broker as per Receivable Statement.
- Issuance of cheque to the buying members as per Payable Statement.
- Issuance of cheque to the members against security deposit after adjustment/maturity
- Reconciliation with accounts.
- Assurance of deposit of cheques.
- Assurance of payment order.
- Management of funds relating to clearing accounts.
- Maintenance of FDR Account.
- Preparation of daily clearance report and submission of report to IT.
- Submission of weekly and monthly clearance reports (Defaulter List to SEC.
- In case of Defaulters.
- Stop all payments.
- Preparation of Buying In/Selling Out order.
- Preparation of the accounts regarding Buying In /Selling out.
- Preparation of resumption order and provision of it for IT.
- Submission of report to SEC regarding the settlement of defaulter members.
DEMATED SPOT TRADE SETTLEMENT:
- Assurance of deposit by the buying members to the bank.
- Assurance of share availability of the selling members their clearing accounts.
- Collection of data and preparation of Statement.
- Issuance of payment.
- Looking after all the reports provided by CDBL every day.
- Assurance of available demated shares buying in / Selling out by DSE.
- Collection of necessary documents.
PREPARATION OF ACCOUNTS:
- Daily & monthly ledger.
- Daily and monthly clearing accounts.
- Daily and monthly clearing reconciliation.
- Maintenance Tax account daily and monthly.
- Transfer of fines, interest and other charges monthly.
FUNCTION OF CLEARING HOUSE (SHARE) DEPARTMENT
- Reception, reconciliation and delivery of shares to member houses everyday.
- Assurance of share settlement and clearing in time.
- Settlement of margin
- Taking necessary actions in case of violation of margin rule by member firms.
- Preparation of list of defaulter members and adoption of necessary actions against the defaulters.
- Preservation of DSE share volt.
- Communication with listed companies as and when requires.
DISPUTED, ODD LOT, BLOCK SHARES & SPOT TRADE:
- Verification of disputed share (fake, reported, lost, stolen) settlement and correspondence with listed companies and member firms in this regard.
- Supervision of receiving and delivery of good shares against any defective share.
- Arrangement of receiving and delivery of odd lot shares and block shares.
- Settlement of spot transaction of physical shares.
- Settlement of spot transaction of CDBL shares.
- In case of default in settlement of spot transaction of physical shares and CDBL shares, proper reporting for the suspension of defaulter member.
- Settlement of bonus, dividend and other benefits on demate shares not transferred into CDBL for unavoidable circumstances.
- Assurance of share settlement and clearing in time.
- Preparation of defaulter list.
- Preparation of selling out and buying in list of shares.
- Communication with listed companies as per requirement.
DSE FULL SERVICE DP
DSE DP provides DP services to brokers and dealers who are trading participants that is who cannot provide DP services to their clients.
DEMATE / REMATE ACTIVITIES
Completion of all activities relating to the conversion of shares from physical to electronic from (Demate) or electronic to physical form (Remate)
- Verifications and receiving of physical share in order to demate shares.
- Entrance of shares off line.
- Upload of shares on line.
- Check up of demate confirmation.
- Check up of demate pending status, collection of pending shares and re-entry of rejected physical shares.
- Verification of demate share in order to remate shares.
- Entrance of shares off line.
- Upload of shares online.
- Check up of remote confirmation.
BO ACCOUNTS SERVICES
- Opening of BO Accounts for beneficiary owners account holders refereed by trading participants.
- Providing services to beneficiary owners in time.
- Reception of pay in form, verification of signature of BO and existence of shares.
- Pay in set up of shares off line and upload online.
- Reception of pay out from members, verification of signature and the existence of shares.
- Approval of pay out by another person and upload online.
- Liaison with issuer to solve the demate problem.
- Liaison with BO account holders and answer their quarries.
- Liaison with CEO and other departments.
- Liaison with CDBL.
(C). OPERATION DIVISON:
- Surveillance Department
- Monitoring, Investigation & Compliance Department
- Legal Affairs
- Listing Department
- Market Operations
- Internal Audit & Compliance.
Listing & Market Operation
IPO Related Functions
- Processing and evaluation of the draft prospectus of IPO.
- Evaluation of Financial Statements of new companies to be listed and preparation of the IPO comments for Securities and Exchange Commission.
Listed Company Related Functions
- To communicate with all the listed companies regarding the compliance of relevant rules and regulation.
- Assurance of timely disbursement of corporate announcement.
- Monitoring of listed companies for the compliance of listing Regulations, Company Law and other relevant rules.
- Announcement of half yearly and yearly performance of listed companies through the trading system.
- Evaluation of performance of listed companies and update listed company records.
- Processing of approval for transfer of share outside the trading system.
- Processing and recording of all types of transfer / sale or buy of shares of Sponsors/Directors.
- Processing of application of gifting of shares as well as transfer of shares in special circumstances.
- Taking subsequent action for corporate announcement as per rules and regulation.
- Adoption of all necessary actions required for Book Closure/Record Date and other corporate benefits.
- Trade suspension or trade halt age of listed companies and members also during the trading hour considering the necessity of market operations.
- Protection of investor’s interest in the listed companies when any anomaly is observed in DSE.
Monitoring, Investigation & Compliance Department
Monitoring and Investigation Department assists in smooth functioning of capital market. The objective of this department is to inspect, monitor and have feedback on the member houses according to securities rules and regulations and settle dispute between investors and member houses, provide support to settle claims, monitor other activities of the exchange like activities of DSE DP regarding pay in/ pay out and other legal matters of the exchange.
Activities of Monitoring, Investigation & Compliance department:
The main functional areas of the department are:
- Legal & Compliance
- TWS set up monitoring
- Room verification
- DP- monitoring
- Any other monitoring ordered by CEO regarding violations of Securities
- rules by any listed company with DSE or any brokerage house.
- Company Monitoring ordered by SEC any directed by CEO.
Procedure of general monitoring:
General Observation (General documents related with share trading):
- Account opening Form
- Buy Sale order Slip
- Trade confirmation Statement
- Buy/Sale order register
- Money receipt
- Payment Voucher
- Share receive and Delivery certificate
- Broker/dealer license
- Authorize registration certificate
- Client ledger.
- Stock report.
- Bank Account Statement.
- Net Capital Balance position.
- Deed of Margin Agreement between member and investor (if possible).
- Compliance report.
- Compliant register.
Special observation (Monitoring House Activities as Depository participant):
- BO account opening for
- Pay in slip
- Pay out slip
- BO stock report
- Find discrepancies and variability of houses activities and generating report.
- Inform the concern house about their deficiencies.
- Aware them about securities rules and provide feedback to the house to overcome deficiencies regarding any lapse in operating house activities and also try to re from them in order to rules and regulations.
- Final report submits to the Securities and Exchange Commission about house status. Monitoring department monitors the activities of at least 5 brokerage houses in each Calendar month.
Monitoring Department conducts special monitoring in brokerage houses according to SEC order through their inspection report. The procedure is same as general monitoring. The department conducts some other monitoring from time to time. They are as follows:
- TWS set up monitoring: Monitoring department inspect the set up of TWS according to TWS installation and user manual.
- Room verification: Monitoring department inspect brokerage house office premises whether they are properly decorated and suitable for business.
- DP – Monitoring: Monitoring Department inspect DP activities of the brokerage house regarding their pay in, pay out, and other activities as DP.
One of the main responsibilities of Monitoring Department is to ensure compliance with Securities and Exchange rules and investigate any fraudulent activities in respect of securities market operations.
This department assists DSE in various legal matters such as
- Correspondence with outside solicitors if any litigation arise against DSE.
- Assists in any other legal matters of DSE.
- Settlement of dispute that arises out by death of members or un settled claim by the member.
- Arrangement of hearing between appellant accused member house and settlement of any undue claim against the house.
Another important department of Dhaka Stock Exchange is Surveillance Department.
Its functions broadly describe in under below:
Functions of Surveillance Department:
- PRICE MONITORING
On line Surveillance:
For detecting potential market abuses at a nascent stage to reduce ability of the market participants to unduly influence the price & volume of the scripts traded at DSE by accessing into orders & trades of members.
Off-Line Surveillance: Monitoring of
- High/Low difference in prices.
- Percentage change in prices over a week/fortnight/month.
- Top N scrip by Turnover a week/Fortnight/month.
- Trading in infrequently traded scrip.
- Scrip’s hitting new high/low price, etc.
Conducting in-depth investigations based preliminary enquiries/analysis of trading of the scrip. In Case of irregularities observed, necessary actions are initiated or investigation case is forwarded to SEC through the CEO, if necessary.
- Warning to member – verbal/written to members through the CEO are issued when market irregularities in the scrip are suspected
- Impositions of penalty/suspension – penalize or suspend the members through the CEO who are involved in market irregularities, based on the input/evidence available from investigation report.
- Liaising with Compliance Officers of companies to obtain comments of the company on various price sensitive corporate news items appearing in selected News Papers.
- Comments received from the companies are disseminated to the market by way of online news bulletin.
- Investigations based on rumor verifications are carried out, if required, to detect cases of suspected insider trading
2. POSITION MONITORING:
The Surveillance Department closely monitors outstanding exposure of members on a daily basis. For this purpose, it observes various off-line market monitoring reports. The reports are scrutinized to ascertain whether there is excessive purchase or sale position build up compared to the normal business of the member, whether there are concentrated purchases or sales, whether the purchases have been made by inactive or financially weak members and even the quality of scrip’s is considered to assess quality of exposure. The following key areas are examined to assess the market risk involved –
Online Monitoring of Broker Position
Surveillance closely monitors broker’s gross turnover exposure for ensuring margin calls in time.
- B/S Statement of Trading Members
- Concentrated B/S
- B/S of scrip having thin trading
- Verification of Institutional Trade
- Verification of Foreign Trade
- Verification of Cross Reporting Trade
- Verification of D Form Trades
- Verification of Sponsor’s Trade
- Snap Investigation
- Market Intelligence
- Review block Trades
- Review List of Settlement Failures
- Verification of Company Accounts
- Review of Media Information
- Monitoring on newly Listed Stock
- Development of Good Liaison
- Development of market contacts & to picking up Intelligence.
- Preparation of daily market report to reflect the state of the market & share prices at a specified time & distribution to the CEO.
- Submission of routine weekly report of market monitoring of Surveillance Department to the Commission.
- Submission of routine weekly report of foreign trades to Commission.
- Off & on inspection to member firms, preparation of reports thereof & forwarding to the CEO.
- Instant reporting to the CEO following his instruction.
- Reporting to the Commission following their enquiry in particular area of brokers/scrapes.
- Any other activities as & when directed by the CEO.
Internal audit & Compliance
- Identification of irregularities in any payment or lapse of any documents.
- Random check up of DSE store to find our irregularities.
- Regular check up of petty cash.
- Identification of over expenses from petty cash.
- Supervision and examination of entrance of income in DSE Accounts.
- Submission of weekly or monthly report on petty cash account to CEO.
- Any other action as per requirement.
(D). INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION:
1. System & Market Administration Development
2. Network Department
3. Web Development Department
4. MIS & Development Department
5. Back Office Department
6. Application Support Department.
Membership Affairs Department of DSE
2. Membership Affairs (M/A) Department
Department of Membership Affairs is one of the most important departments in Dhaka Stock Exchange Limited. This department of DSE runs with the goal of providing possible assistance to all the DSE Member Companies in their smooth operation. In the year 2006 the total number of active DSE Member Companies was 120 with a few branch offices. But in the year 2009 the number of active DSE Member Companies has come to 285 with 500 Branch Offices (on October 2009 existing 381 and proposed 120) and the total number of Authorized Representatives has reached to 2475(on October 2009 existing 1692 and applied 525). As a result of such expansion and up gradation of DSE, the activities related to membership affairs increased by a considerable degree.
|Sr. Office Assistant||02|
|General Support Service||02|
2.1 Management of Membership Affairs Department
The overall activities of Membership Affairs Department of DSE is fully charged and controlled by the Chief Operating Officer (COO).This department is responsible of dealing with the DSE members issues. Specially, this department play vital role to meet some basic immediate needs. This department also execute some fundamental works of others department. Hierarchy of the department is given below:
2.2.Contribution of M/A Department
The membership Affairs Department provides various assistances to the members to operate efficient transaction of Stock Exchange. The Membership affairs department contributes in following work –
- Registration of Stock broker and Stock Dealer.
- Opening new Branch
- Approval of the existing branch.
- Approval of the extension branch office.
- Authorize representative Appointment.
- Withdrawal of the authorized representative.
- Renewal of the authorized representative certificate.
- Issuing stock broker and stock Dealer certificate.
- Renewal of stock broker and stock Dealer certificate.
- Issuing of trading work Station.
- Miscellaneous members related works.
This department focuses on collecting necessary document and after sorting all the document, complete set of the document go to due authority for final approval. Complying Rules and regulation the department arrange document for final approval. The department always remains alert to fulfill DSE member’s requirement.
2.3 Functions of M/A Department
1. Registration of every DSE Broker/Dealer:
Membership of DSE facilitates a person prospects to be a Trading members (Stock Brokers) of the Exchange through compliance of the regulatory Provisions of DSE and SEC. There are 238 members in DSE all of whom are corporate bodies.
The eligibility criteria for the membership according to Regulations, 2000 of SEC are as follows:
- A corporate body with a minimum paid up capital of BDT 2.5 million.
- Any partner or director thereof as the case can not be
§ Less than 21 years old
§ A bankrupt announced by CIB of Bangladesh Bank
§ Person of unsound mind
§ A member of any Stock Exchange
§ Person convicted by a competent court of an office involving moral turpitude or any misconduct
§ A Merchant Banker , Portfolio manager, trusty of Mutual Fund
§ A person of insolvent by court. etc
If someone is eligible to be a member of DSE, he/she thereby may apply for the membership of DSE. The interested party must have to issue a forwarding letter and submit the necessary papers and documents to the DSE. The forwarding letter along with the name of all the documents is given in the following page.
After sorting the documents the department needs to send to the Securities and Exchange Commission for license. DSE announce the license through MOP’s Announcement for starting of trading depicting the license number and other details. Then it needs to register the office or location where they want to start trading along with allocation of TWS applied for.
Dhaka Stock Exchange Ltd.
Stock Exchange Building
9/F, Motijheel C/A., Dhaka-1000
The Board of Directors Date ……
Dhaka Stock Exchange Ltd.
9/F, Motijheel C/A,
I on behalf of——————————————————————————- Ltd. desire to be a shareholder and member of the DSE Ltd. and I hereby agree, if selected for the same, to be bound by the Memorandum and Articles of Association of DSE along with all the laws, Bye-laws, and Regulations made or to be made hereafter for the Governance of the Exchange or the business thereof.
We herby apply for one share with particulars given below as required by DSE.
|SL. No.||Yes (?)
For official use only
- A. Additional requirements FORM duly filled in & signed.
B. Terms & Conditions to be a member of DSE duly filled in & signed.
C. Recommendation for membership from two existing members duly signed.
- Original Share Certificate # 000——— along with share transfer FORM 117 (duly filld in & signed) and Share transfer stamp of Tk. ———– duly cancelled by company’s seal.
- Memorandum and Articles of Association – 2 copies (Certified copies to be enclosed)
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Vendors Agreement – Original
- SEC Registration Certificate
- Board Resolution regarding application for membership representation and signing Authority
- Form XII in original
- Photocopy of Bank A/C Certificate
- Photocopy of TIN Certificate
- Photocopy of Trade License
- BIO-DATA of each Director
- Guarantee & Undertaking of each Director on Non-judicial stamp of Tk.150/=
Affidavit of each Director on Non-Judicial stamp of Tk. 50/= with notarized
- Undertaking (From Ka) for CIB clearance duly filled & signed by each director-3sets
- Declaration regarding subsidiary/ sister concern Loan
- Audited Financial statement- 2 copies
- Compliance Authority
- Entrance fee 100,000= (one lac) paid vide Cheque # ———————Date————0f ————————–Bank ————————— Branch Dhaka
- DSE Members Club Membership Fee of Tk.100,000 (one lac) paid Vide Cheque # ———– date ———————— of ————————————– Bank ———————————————- Branch Dhaka.
Thanking you, Received by———–
2. Renewal of Registration Certificate of every Broker/Dealer (yearly):
The licenses issued by the Commission are required to be renewed every year as per the Securities and Exchange Commission (Stock Dealer, Stock Broker & Authorized Representative) Rules 8(1), 2000 along with dully filled in Forms and Pay Orders in favor of the Commission. For renewal the Registration certificate, the member company has to submit the following documents to the DSE:
- Renewal fee by way of PO/DD of Tk. 10,000/= in case of Stock Broker and Tk. 20,000/= in case of Stock Dealer & Broker in favor of SEC.
- Original Registration Certificate
- In case of Stock Dealer & Broker one set and in case of Stock Broker two sets of duly filled in Form ‘Gha” and Form ’Chha’ (enclosed).
- Statement of Net Capital Balance of the year ending month.
According to sub-rule (2) of the above rule, the application along with documents must be reached to the SEC within one month before expiry date to avoid daily fine Tk. 500/= for any late submission.
3. Transfer of Membership of DSE:
Ownership of DSE membership may be transferred in many ways. The Department prepares documents in this regard and maintaining a database with every details of such transfer or any kind of change. The database provides the updated information from its birth.The documents that are used For Registration of Stock Broker/Dealer are also used for transferring the Membership of DSE.
4. Conversion of proprietorship Member Company into Limited Member Company:
As per SEC’s requirement every DSE Member Company (Proprietorship Company) has to be converted into limited company. The Department has completed all arrangements for 150 proprietorship companies to convert into limited companies.
5. Appointment Authorized Representative for operating Trading Work Station:
DSE broker/dealer may appoint Authorized Representative who is registered with DSE and SEC to act as an agent for doing all the activities related to buy and sell securities through the stock exchange.
Relevant Documents for Application of Authorize Representative:
1. Forwarding letter regarding appointment of Authorize Representative.
2. Bio-Data of the Applicant mentioning permanent & present Address and detail Academic Qualification. (Two sets)
3. Photocopies of all Academic Qualification Certificates attested by the respective Member. (Two sets)
4. Four copies (Passport size) recent Color Photographs. N.B. Computerized photo is not allowed.
5. Appointment letter.
6. A Declaration of having SEC License under either DSE or CSE along with Job Record being authenticated by the Member Representative.
7. Applicant Declaration.
8. Convicted Clearance Certificate as per law of 2000, 4(2), (v), (VI) by SEC.
9. Guarantee & Undertaking on Non-Judicial Stamp of Tk. 150/=
10. Affidavit on Non-Judicial Stamp of Tk. 50/= with notarize.
11. A Deed of Agreement between the Member & Authorized Person on Non-Judicial Stamp Tk. 150/= (Both the parries should Sing in every page).
12. Form Kha should be filled in Bengali properly.
13. A cheque of Tk. 1600/= in favor of DSE Ltd.(Entrance fee Tk. 1000/= & Training fee Tk. 600/=).
14. A pay Order of Tk. 1000/= in favor of SEC as registration fee.
a) Applicant’s age should not be less than 21 years (As per S.S.C. Certificate).
b) Minimum Qualification of Applicant is H.S.C.
c) The name & father’s name of the Applicant in every relevant document should be as per S.S.C. or Equivalent Certificate.
d) If the applicant has SEC License, he has to submit the Original License along with the clearance from the previous Member Company (Release order).
DSE appoints the Authorized Representatives of the Membership Companies. It requires various tasks such as; after receiving the application sorting the documents, conducting Interviews, preparing list for the Training and sending the relevant documents for registration to the Commission. It goes through a number of stages. The procedure of the appointment of the authorized representative is in the following diagram
7. Submission of Audited Financial Reports of the DSE Membership Companies to the Commission:
As required under the SEC rules every DSE Membership Company has to submit:
- Yearly Audited Financial Statement within four months of the year end.
- Quarterly Un-audited financial statements within one month.
- Discloser of price Sensitive Information.
These statements have to submit as per the Securities and Exchange Commission (Stock Dealer, Stock Broker & Authorized Representative) Rules, 2000. It is mandatory to follow preparation of the Financial Statements according to IFRS and ISA’s as adopted in Bangladesh. The reports submitted by the companies have to be checked by the DSE experts and forwarded to the commission within the stipulated time.
8. Renewal of Authorized Representative’s Certificate (yearly):
Licenses issued by the Commission to the Authorized representatives have to be renewed every year within the stipulated time frame with dully filled in SEC prescribed forms and pay orders. According to the Securities and Exchange Commission (Stock Dealer, Stock Broker & Authorized Representative) Rules 8(1), 2000 the Authorized Representative must be submit the following documents:
- Renewal fee by way of PO/DD of Tk. 1000/= in favor of SEC.
- Original Registration Certificate.
- One set of duly filled in Form ‘Gha” and Form ’Chha’ (enclosed).
- Statement of Net Capital Balance of the year ending month of the respective company.
According to sub-rule (2) of the above rule, the application along with documents must be reached to the SEC within one month before expiry date to avoid daily fine Tk. 100/= for any late submission.
9. Updating the information related to the DSE Member Companies and Authorized Representatives in the DSE Central Database and Web sites:
All the related information of the DSE Member Companies and Authorized Representatives are given in the DSE central database and website. This information is modified time to time.
10. SEC approval for Branch Offices:
The approval of Members branch office is another important function of the M/A department. Because of rapid expansion of capital market in Bangladesh the Members of DSE has to expand their Stock Exchange operation and hence increase their branch office. To be eligible to open a new branch office the Member Company must have to meet the following criteria:
- Office– The proposed branch office must have to be outside of the 500 yard distance from the Head office of Members.
- The Member Company must have a Compliance Officer, A Branch Manager, and Two Authorized Representatives. It is to be note