To create a strong anti-corruption culture that permeates throughout the whole society.
The Commission has formulated some indicators of the vision so that every member of the society can easily recognize if this vision has been attained in the next five years these are as follows;
- No bribery in business.
- No bribery to escape from the reach of the law or to any government official.
- No bribery to enjoy basic amenities such as health and education etc.
- No bribery to jump the queue.
- No bribery, period!
- Merit matters, not greasing of palm.
Public perception survey indicates presence of a feel good factor in the citizens who perceived that there is a reduction in the level of corruption in the country. An abhorrence of corrupted amongst the people, manifested by the social stigma placed on them and a strong displeasure exerted through peer pressure.
TI ratings placed Bangladesh in the top half in the league of least corrupt nations in the world. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) encompassing
- Completion rate or the percentage of cases completed against the number assigned in the year. Cycle time or time taken for an investigation in a case to be completed. Prosecution rate or the percentage of cases prosecuted against the number completed in a year.
- Conviction rate or the percentage of cases convicted in court against the number prosecuted in a year.
Mission of Anti-Corruption commission in Bangladesh
To relentlessly combat, control, suppress and prevent corruption.
Guided by the mission ACC sets for itself the following tasks and functions:
- It controls corruption by identifying hot spots and areas of vulnerabilities for targeted investigative and prosecution action, prevention and curative treatment beside preventive education and advocacy.
The Strategic Plan consists of three strategic objects:
- Combating Corruption through Punitive Action.
- Pre-empt Corruption through Systems Review.
- Prevent Corruption through Education and Advocacy.
These are supported by four supporting objectives:
Designing Organizational Structure:
- Designing Operating Mechanisms.
- Providing Human Resource Support and Good Internal Governance.
- Providing Sound Financial and Logistical Support
Power of the Anti-Corruption Commission in respect of inquiry or Investigation
(1)In respect of any query of investigation
(a) Summons witnesses, ensure their appearance and interrogate them under oath.
(b)Discover and present any document.
(c)Take evidence under oath.
(d) Call for public records or its certified copies from any court office.
(e) Issue warrants for the interrogation of witnesses and the examination of documents.
(f) Any other matter required for realizing and fulfilling the aims and objectives of this law.
(2)The commission may require any person to furnish information in matters relating to any inquiry or investigation and any person so directed is obliged to furnish information available to him.
(3) Any person obstructing an official legally empowered by the commission in the exercise of his powers under this sub-section (1) or any person deliberately violating any order given under that sub-section commits a punishable offence is liable to a term of imprisonment of mot more than three(3)years or a fine or both.
Power of Investigation
(1) Notwithstanding anything in the code of Criminal procedure, corruption shall be the subject matter of investigation by the commission alone.
(2) The commission may through an official gazette notification empower a subordinate officer of the commission the power to investigate corruption under sub-section (1)
(3) For the purpose of investigation into officer empowered under subsection (2) shall have the power of an officer-in-charge of a police station.
(4)Besides the provisions of Sub-section (2) and (3), the commissions shall also have the power to investigate any offence under this law.
Functions of Anti-Corruption commission
Chairman & commissioners
The commission is mandated as independent, self-governed and neutral entity. It consists of three Commissioners; of them one as the chairman and all appointed by the President on the recommendation of the Selection Committee for a period of four years from the date of their appointment. While the commissioners function on full time basis loses eligibility for reappointment on expiry of the term in their office.
- To enquire into and conduct investigation of offences mentioned in the schedule
- To file cases on the basis of enquiry or investigation and conduct cases
- To hold enquiry into allegations of corruption on its own motion or on the application of aggrieved person or any person on his behalf
- To perform any function assigned to Commission by any Act in respect of corruption
- To review any recognized provisions of any law for prevention of corruption and submit recommendation to the President for their effective implementation
- To undertake research, prepare plan for prevention of corruption and submit to the President, recommendation for action based on the result of such research
- To raise awareness and create feeling of honesty and integrity among people with a view to preventing corruption
- To organize seminar, symposium, workshop etc. on the subjects falling within the functions and duties of the Commission
- To identify various causes of corruption in the context of socio-economic conditions of Bangladesh and make recommendation to the President for taking necessary steps
- To determine the procedure of enquiry, investigation, filing of cases and also the procedure of according sanction of the Commission for filing case against corruption and to perform any other duty as may be considered necessary for prevention of corruption