Assignment of Cinematograph Rights in a Play or Novel
An agreement made the ……… day of ……… between AB ……… of etc., (hereinafter called the author) of the one part and CD of etc., (hereinafter called the assignee) of the other part.
Whereas the author is the sole proprietor of the playright or copyright in the play or story or novel entitled “……………” and whereas the author has agreed to sell the right of making film and/or cinematograph rights in the said play (or story or novel) Now it is hereby agreed by and between the parties as follows:
1. In consideration of the sum of Rs. ……………… paid by the assignee to the author (the receipt whereof the author hereby admits and acknowledges) the author does hereby grant, sell, assign, transfer and assure to the assignee the sole, exclusive and monopoly right to produce cinematographic films, scenes, scenary and other reproductions of the said play (story or novel) or any part thereof and to present, exhibit or perform the said play, story, or rewrite the novel or any part thereof in public by means of sound or silent films or any other similar contrivance which may be mechanically represented, exhibited or performed in all parts of the world in which the said rights are subsisting or may be acquired by the assignee.
2. The author warrants to the assignee that he is the sole owner of the valid and subsisting copyright and playright in the said play (story or novel) and that he has not granted any licence or otherwise parted with any interest in the right to produce the same by means of cinematograph films or other similar contrivances.
3. The assignee shall at all times hereafter be entitled to produce or cause to be produced and exhibited for sale or hire any film of the said play (story or novel) and, in case he fails to do so, it shall be optional on the part of the author, by notice in writing and subject to repayment of the purchase money to terminate this agreement and the cinematograph rights in the said play (or novel) shall forthwith be reassigned to the author.
4. The assignee agrees to the publication of the author’s name in conjunction with the title of the film of the said play (story or novel) in all books, literature advertisements, programmes and notices under his control.
5. The assignee agrees not to make any alteration of a substantial nature in the story of the said play (story or novel) or in climax situations or in the characterisation thereof without the previous consent in writing of the author.
In witness whereof the parties hereto have executed these presents on the day, month and year first above-written.
Signed, sealed and delivered by AB in the presence of:
Signed, sealed and delivered by CD in the presence of: