The development in information technology and electronic media have given rise to a new variety of computer related crimes are commonly called “Cyber Crimes”.
Definition of Cyber Crime : A cyber Crime may be defined as any criminal activity that uses a computer either as an instrumentality, target or means of perpetrating further crime. In another words, cyber crime is an unlawful act wherein the computer is either a toll or a target or both.
Cyber criminals have a major advantage; they can use computer technology to inflict damage without risk of being caught. Here are main reasons for cyber crime are as follows.
The main reasons may briefly be stated as follows :
1. The computer has the unique characteristic of storing data in a relatively very small space. This affords to derive and remove information either through physical or virtual medium more easily.
2. Computer are easy to access and therefore unauthorised access by the use of complex cyber space technology is easily possible by-passing security system.
3. The computer work on operating systems which are complex and are composed of millions of codes. The cyber offenders take advantage of the fallibility of human mind and penetrate into the computer system.
4. One of the significant features of computer system is that evidence is destroyed in no time. The criminals find it easy to destroy the evidence soon after the crime is committed which makes it difficult for the investigating agencies to collect relevant material evidence for prosecuting the offender.
5. Slightest negligence on the part of computer user in ensuring security of the computer system may lead to catastrophic consequences as the cyber criminal may gain illegal access and unauthorised control over the computer system to accomplish his evil design.