Creating Sales Letter Lists That Make Your Customer’s Drool
You’ve seen them a hundred times. Those lists that copywriters use within their sales letters that tell you what the product or service offers. They might say something like:
- THE most important (and most overlooked) aspect of copywriting
- The 4 personalities of your customer and how to get each to respond to your copy
- 21 words that make your headline POP!
- The 7 steps for turning features into sales generating benefits
- How to add emotional triggers that increase the desire to buy
- Why some testimonials can actually HURT your sales (I hope you aren’t doing this!)
- The 9 secrets to turning ordinary “sales copy” into a powerful “solution” your customer has to have
- Why your USP could actually be killing your brand
But how do you create an effective list that draws customers in? What are the keys to turning a list of nuts and bolts into a menu of enticing delights your customer has to have? Hold on tight, I’m about to tell you!
Take a look at the list above. What do you notice? What things do the listed items have in common?
1. An effective list must provide a benefit – not a feature, but a benefit. It answers the question “What’s in it for me?”
2. An effective list must “tease” the reader. Notice that one item above says “The 4 personalities of your customer and how to get each to respond to your copy.” That teases the reader. It doesn’t tell them what the 4 types are, but lets them know that the product or service will tell them.
3. An effective list uses “power words.” Power words are those words and phrases that people are prone to respond to. These include things like specific numbers (“21 words that make your headline POP”), “how to” statements (“How to add emotional triggers that increase the desire to buy”) and “secrets” (“The 9 secrets to turning ordinary “sales copy” into a powerful “solution” your customer has to have”).
4. An effective list uses lots of adjectives. Don’t just state “The secrets of 12 mentors”, instead say “The inside, life-changing secrets of 12 mentors.”
Let’s do one together. We’ll use the example of a widely-known book. See if you can guess what book it is.
- 10 time tested, proven guidelines for personal and business success.
- The one investment that can multiply your wealth by 100 fold almost immediately.
- Little known advice that guarantees your future – eternally.
- The inside, life-changing secrets of 12 mentors – learn from their victories and failures!
Can you guess what book it is? It’s The Bible! Using the list method, we’ve been able to pull out some of the benefits of The Bible, and format them in such a way that they get their point across in words most average people relate to.
As you can see, including lists within your sales letters can boost your profits tremendously! Just remember to think like your customer, and use the 4-step process outlined above. You’ll be knockin’ ’em dead in no time!
size=”1″ noshade=”noshade” />Written by Karon Thackston of KT & Associates. Karon offers targeted copywriting, copy editing & article writing services. Subscribe to KT & Associates’ Ezine “Business Essentials” at BusinessEssentials-Subscribe@topica.com or visit her site at http://www.ktamarketing.com today.