Eve teasing is very common social problem and every day women come-across some form of eve teasing. In this case, do you think that women should be empowered to fight back due to end this evil act – Explain & Illustrate.
We are living in the 21st century- technology, education and society has improved in so many ways, but still the mindset of people has not changed. It is said that women are the half of the nation but they are not treated as such. Still they are discriminated and teased. They say it is tough to be a woman in our society. It is like a same story every day for thousands of women all across the country. Right from the time they venture out of their homes for schools, colleges or offices, they have to be on their toes all the time. Whenever a girl goes out to school or any other places, her parents worry until their daughter returns home safe and sound. The reason for which women of our society cannot live or move peacefully is Eve Teasing. It is a regular occurrence for the women and girls of Bangladesh. It refers to the violation of a woman’s basic right to live in dignity. Women have always been subject to eve teasing and unfortunately the trend continues to grow.
Eve teasing is a major problem in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. Eve teasing is a euphemism used in India and sometimes Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal for public sexual harassment, street harassment or molestation of women by men, with Eve being a reference to the biblical Eve.
men are “eves,” the original temptresses leading men to sin, and therefore men “tease” them. Never mind that “teasing” often refers to the blatant groping of women in public, stalking women, incessantly verbally harassing them and calling them sluts, and in extreme cases, throwing acid and/or exacting violence against them.
Eve-teasing has been a notoriously difficult crime to prove, as perpetrators often devise ingenious ways to attack women, even though many feminist writers term it as “little rapes”, and usually occur in public places, streets, and public transport.
- · People of this country are nor much educated.
- · Another reason is that the lack of awareness of the law enforcement agencies.
- · Some people posses extremely restricted mentality and also tend to be overly conservative on sexuality and thus cannot mix with women freely. This type of mentality also provokes eve teasing sometimes.
- · Some boys argue that at times girls dress in a stimulating manner that they themselves draw male’s attention.
- · Some also feel that if children are not brought up on the light of religion and have a free exposure to modern fashion, they are bound to lose way of seriousness and moral values. Thus they consider eve teasing as fun not offence.
- · The problem also lies with the conservative set up of the society. Education family rearing and way of living are some of the factors that influence every bodies mind. It is shown that if a girl is too smart or fashionable, boys tend to do such activities often out of frustration. Undue limitation and isolations from girls also give birth to sexual dissatisfaction and thus sort of aggression.
It is a traumatic experience that has negative consequences for the greater community and can leave deep psychological scars. Parents, who are concerned about their daughter’s honour or safety, sometimes keep them home from school and/or marry them off at an early age. The present situation is very alarming. Many victims have committed suicide. “Some victims find suicide to the only avenue that enables them to escape this social pandemic”, said Sultana Kamal, executive director of Ain-O-Shalish Kendra (ASK).
One such example is 13 year old Nashfia Akhand Pinky, known as Pinky, who killed herself after months of stalking, harassment, and torment, by her 22 year old neighbour and his friends. After confronting the harasser, Pinky was beaten by her neighbour as other neighbours looked on but did nothing. In her suicide note she wrote, “When [my tormentor] pulled my scarf and harassed me physically in front of the house, onlookers at the scene laughed. Nobody protested. None of my family members are responsible for my suicide”.
The major problem with eve-teasing is that victims seldom report incidents, so the perpetrators of these crimes are rarely prosecuted. This leads to a belief amongst them that no action will take place against them, and so they continue to sexually harass women. Another problem is that the witnesses of such incidences tend to no interest in rescuing the victim or become involved in any way.
The menace of eve teasing can only be overcome by empowering women to fight back. The very concept of women being empowered shows that society as such has given a raw deal to women that they themselves have to come forward to fight for their rightful place in all walks of life and prevent their exploitation in every field.
Fighting back does not mean that they have to sock your offender in the face, but being too shy and reserved to speak up is just going to work against them. They have got to look their offender in the face and speak up as loud as you can. Some steps could be followed to offend the teasers-
- · If anyone follows a woman, she should just walk up to him and start yelling at the top her voice, without letting him get a word in. Ask him for the name of his employer. Drop the ‘You don’t know who I am and who you’re messing with’ line.
- · Women should be smart enough while being outside home. Even if they r lost they should look as if they know exactly where they are going.
- · If they see a group of men hanging out, or a man who’s making eye contact with them and trying to get their attention, women should take a detour. Better safe than sorry.
- · Women should not walk through a dark, lonely street rather In a well lit area they will be able to see and avoid potential offenders.
- · Some guidebooks to the region warn females that eve teasing may be avoided by wearing conservative clothing. They should dress properly.
- · No discrimination against any citizens on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth.
- · Equality of opportunity in public employment
- · Protection of right to life and personal liberty
- · Prohibition of forced labour
- · Safeguards as to arrest and detention
- · Protection in respect of trial and punishment
- · Freedom of movement, assembly, association, thought and conscience, speech, profession, occupation and religion.
- · Right to property
- · Protection of home and correspondence
- · Enforcement of fundamental rights through courts of law.
Amongst all the rights, none of them a woman actually has or exercises. They are harassed, annoyed, tortured and killed without any valid reason. Our country is so inefficient in providing the rights to women and giving them the justice. To weed out this evil, stringent laws are needed. It is the sole responsibility of our government to make sure that women are fully aware of their rights and get justice in every step of their life.
The constitution of Bangladesh guarantees equal rights to all citizens. The importance of women as an important human resource has been recognised by the Constitution of Bangladesh and accorded equality to women. Government has designated June 13 as ‘Eve Teasing Protection Day’.
In “Women and Children Repression and Prevention Act 2000” an excellent provision was included in section article 10 that teasing of women like making obscene comments or gestures was an offence covered by it providing for up to seven years of simple imprisonment or meticulous imprisonment for two years.
In section 10(1), the law defines sexual torture as, “If a man touches the sexual organ or any other organ of a woman or of a child by any of his organs or by any other objects with a view to fulfilling his illegal sexual desire, such act of the man will be termed as sexual torture”. This definition, in fact, includes the attempt of rape or outraging the modesty of a woman by actual physical contract. The law punishes the offender with rigorous imprisonment of minimum 3 and maximum 10 years and also an indefinite amount of fine.
In section 10(2), the law defines sexual harassment as, “if a man, with a view to fulfilling his illegal sexual desire outrage a woman’s modesty or makes erotic gesture, such act of the man will amount to sexual harassment”. A rigorous imprisonment ranging from 2 to 7 years and additionally an indefinite amount of fine is rewarded for this offence. According to this definition sexual harassment is an offence that is committed by not coming with actual physical contract to the victim.
Under section 509 of the penal code, it is clearly said that,” anybody intending to insult the modesty of any woman, utters any word, make any sound or gesture or exhibits any object intending that such word or sound shall be heard, or that such gesture or object shall be seen, by such woman, or intrude upon the privacy of such woman, shall be punished with simple imprisonment for a term which may extend to one year or with fine or with both”.
Recently the government of Bangladesh gave power to the assistant magistrate to stop eve teasing. On November 10, 2010 prothom-alo newspaper, It was declared that now the eve teasing judgement will be passed on mobile court. The teaser will be punished on the spot with maximum 1 year of imprisonment or will have to pay fine or both. The section 509 has been included in the mobile court. Using this section the magistrate can declare the judgement on the spot. This law will help to stop eve teasing and will create fear among the stalkers.
Each and every day there is some news of eve teasing on the newspapers or on the television. It is an everyday problem in Bangladesh these days. The consequences are also causing harm to the society, even death of women. Laws are there but proper enforcement of those laws is absent. These laws should be enforced properly and the teasers should be punished. It’s now high time for the government to take some serious action against eve teasing and implement the law to protect women before it’s out of control. Women should fight to safeguard their modesty. Right from the time they venture out of their homes for schools, colleges or offices, they should be aware all the time. They should raise their voice against such evil act all across the country.
For: The Lawyers & Jurists
M.L.Hotel Tower Ltd,208,Shahid Syed Nazrul Islam Sarani,
Bijoy Nagar, Dhaka-1000.
Country code+ Ph No.
Direct cell with country code:
Local Code :