Lease of a House for a term exceeding One Year,
Rents being payable Every Month
THIS LEASE is made the . . . . . . . . day of . . . . . . . . , 20 . . . . . ., BETWEEN A. B., aged . . . . . . . . years, son of . . . . . . . . . . ., resident of . . . . . . . ., (hereinafter called the ‘Landlord’) of the one part AND C. D., aged . . . . . . . . years, son of . . . . . . . ., originally resident of . . . . . . . ., (hereinafter called the ‘Tenant’) of the other part.
WITNESSES that in consideration of the rent hereinafter reserved and of the Tenant’s covenants hereinafter contained the Landlord hereby leases unto the said Tenant ALL THAT dwelling house together with outhouses, and garage and compound etcetera (describe the property leased by stating the municipal number, road and town and give the boundary), TO HOLD the same unto the Tenant, for the term of. . . . . . . year/years, from the day of. . . . . . . . yielding and paying during the said term a monthly rent of Rupees . . . . . . . . (Rs . . . . . . . .) only payable in advance in the first week of each month: AND the Tenant hereby covenants with the Landlord, in the manner following:
1. That the tenancy shall begin from the first of every month of the Gregorian Calendar terminating with the last day of every such month and the rent of every month hereby reserved shall fall due on the first of that month but payable within the first week of the said month.
2. That the Tenant shall not be liable to pay any existing house or water tax, but all the other and further taxes whether already levied or which may be levied shall be paid by the Tenant and the receipt of the Municipality or the authority authorised to receive such taxes shall be registered with the Landlord within the month such taxes are paid.
3. That the Landlord shall at his option conduct the repairs of the building hereby demised and shall expend at least one month’s rent on the repairs every year. All the repairs, additions and alterations if desired by the Tenant shall be intimated to the Landlord and if permitted may be done by the Tenant at his cost. That the Landlord shall keep the demised property in substantial repairs but shall not be liable to conduct such repairs as have been necessitated by the wilful neglect or intentional waste of the Tenant. Such repairs the Tenant shall be liable to himself conduct at his cost.
4. That the Tenant shall allow the Landlord or his agent, with or without workmen and this, at convenient hours in the daytime to enter into and upon the demised property, and view and examine the state and condition thereof and to repair the said property or notify the Tenant of all damage, which shall be repaired by the Tenant within one month from such notice or any further time which the Landlord may allow.
5. That the Tenant shall not at any time carry on or permit to be carried on any trade or business upon or in the said property or permit the same to be occupied by any other person whatsoever.
6. That if the Tenant be desirous of continuing with his tenancy for any period more than one year he shall give at least 15 days’ notice of his intention to the Landlord, as otherwise the tenancy shall expire at the end of one year and the Tenant give quiet and peaceful vacant possession of the property hereby demised to the Landlord.
7. That on the expiry of or determination of this lease the Tenant shall hand over the property hereby demised to the Landlord or his agent in as good a condition as he received it, subject, however, to the condition that the Landlord shall have spent on and over the said property and its repairs a sum of at least one month’s rent during the year of the Tenant’s occupation. The Tenant shall only be entitled to remove such removable fixtures as he might have put, but no other removals shall be permitted to him.
8. That the Landlord shall have the right to eject the Tenant on breach of any of the conditions herein mentioned without prejudice to his right to realise all arrears of rent due. Any taxes which the Tenant may be or is liable to pay may be realised as arrears of rent if the Tenant has failed to pay or register such payment with the Landlord. Cost of such repairs, which the Tenant was liable to conduct but has not done, may also be realised as arrears of rent.
9. That the Tenant paying the rent hereby reserved and observing and performing the covenants and conditions herein contained, and on his part to be observed and performed shall and may peaceably and quietly possess and enjoy the said property hereby demised without any let or hindrance from the Landlord or any person rightfully claiming from or under him.
10. That wherever the context allows, the expressions ‘‘the Landlord’’ and the ‘‘the Tenant’’ used in these presents include besides A. B., his heirs and assigns and besides C. D., his heirs and survivors only.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the said A. B. and C. D. have hereto at . . . . . . . . signed the day and year first abovementioned.
1. Sd. A. B.
2. Sd. C. D.