An Act to make provision for certain matters connected with the development of industries under Government Control. 1
WHEREAS it is expedient to make provision for certain matters connected with the development of industries under Government Control;
AND WHEREAS it appears to the Government to be expedient in the public interest to make such provision to the extent hereinafter appearing;
It is hereby enacted as follows:-
Short title, extent and commencement
- (1) This Act may be called the Development of Industries Government Control Act, 1949.
(2) It extends to the whole of Bangladesh.
(3) It shall come into force at once.
- In this Act unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,-
(a) “industry” means any industry engaged in the manufacture or processing of specified goods or commodities and includes any industry ancillary to such an industry, and “industries” shall be construed accordingly;
(b) “specified” means specified in the Schedule to this Act.
2[ * * *]
- It is hereby declared that the development under Government Control of industries to which this Act applies is expedient in the public interest.
Power to regulate industry
3[ 3A. In pursuance of the declaration made in the last preceding section the Government may in respect of any industry to which this Act applies, plan and regulate the setting up of any new undertaking or the development of any new or existing undertaking.]
Power to make rules
- The Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, make rules to carry the provisions of this Act into effect.
Rules to be subject to previous publication
- (1) All rules made under this Act shall be subject to the condition of previous publication and the date to be specified under clause (3) of section 23 of the General Clauses Act, 1897, shall not be less than one month from the date on which the draft of the proposed rules was published.
(2) All such rules shall be published in the official Gazette and shall, unless some later date is appointed in such rules, come into force on the date of such publication.
1 Throughout this Act, the words “Government” and “Bangladesh” were substituted for the words “Central Government” or “Appropriate Government” and “Pakistan” respectively by section 3 and the Second Schedule of the Bangladesh Laws (Revision And Declaration) Act, 1973 (Act No. VIII of 1973)
2 Clause (c) was omitted by section 3 and the Second Schedule of the Bangladesh Laws (Revision And Declaration) Act, 1973 (Act No. VIII of 1973)
3 Section 3A was inserted by section 2 of the Development of Industries (Federal Control) Amendment Act, 1950 (Act No. 44 of 1950)