Environmental Degradation & Its Impact on Dhaka
Before people used to buy land to build up house for settlement. As a result, only upper class people get a chance to build up houses buying land. But its quite impossible for the middle class people. Since the time has changed, people decision is also changed. In the past days to build up a structure takes for or fine years or more than that. At present, people get a complete flat within on or two years because of housing business. But because of this housing business, people get not only benefit but also faces many problems. This problem is not personal it also spread out in the whole society. For this reason, I want to highlight the impact of housing business in our society.
Literature is very important for any kind of research or field study. For the better result of my field survey in “Bashundhara residential area”. I got literature help from Bashundhara group office and other internet (www.rehab.com). Most of these literary helps are field study related.
Simplifying topic the essence of this study definitions of key words are needed to explain that shall be found in the report of “The impact of housing business in our society”.
- Profile of Bashundhara residential area:
- Socio-economic condition
- Land use survey
- Data collection Techniques:
When I went to research about a matter for my work. I have to collect data from primary and secondary sources. Now days, this is the technique that is followed.
Most of the data is collected at the primary source. This research/ project paper is a combination of secondary data, collection and analysis as well as primary data collection. I collected the different land use and socio economic data by asking local people/ in habitants of Bashundhara residential area.
LIMITATION OF THE RESEARCH OR STUDY
A number of limitation were faced at the time of conducting the research-
- Needed more specific socio-economic questions.
- In sufficient secondary data on “Bashundhara residential Area”.
- Face problems with the local people in that area as they were reluctant to answer my questions and some of them gave incorrect response.
- Could not get direct information from the head of the household, as the time I surveyed, they were out of the house.
- Time constraint, I didn’t home enough time to cover the what area properly
ANALYSIS OF THE DATA
After completing my given tasks that were conducted at “Bashundhara residential area”. I started making tables of the data that was collected. When all the questionnaires were gathered, I had a total number of different families that I could analyze. For my presentation, I used maps. Pie chart and bar graphs to show different problems.
SELECTION OF THE STUDY AREA
The name of project is “Impact of housing in our society” and hare selected a residential area for this project. The name of residential area is “Bashundhara Residential area”. As a build up this residential area, two type of impact have been seen in not only society but also at the hearest area.
PREPARATION OF THE QUESTIONNAIRE
For this project, I have prepared two types of questionnaire.
1. The first questionnaire is for the people who is living in the Bashundhara residential area.
2. The second questionnaire is for the people who is living in the hearest area.
HOUSING BUSINESS (DEFINITION)
Dhaka city boru during the Moghul Empire and grown with the British rule, is expending rapidly. From the beginning of the 20th century its growth and latter development is marked with sheer lack of proper and for reaching planning. The impact is now being felt at the end of the century. Dhaka city is under going terrific growth phase throughout the last two decades. While there are so many real estate developers in the market, there are also very few of the who thane maintained the quality, safety and customer preference. It is customary in the country that the first day quality and impression is lost after a while when people, start getting a bit of familiarity. This happens due mainly to lack of professionalism. Sometimes the consumers here are in a fix to chose a particular brand out of many.
A good number of real estate companies are working under one umbrella association named “Real estate and housing Association of Bangladesh (REHAB). Almost 83 companies are at present affiliated with this association, while more than 200 companies are working independently.
Objectives of Housing Business or REHAB:
- To offer finest apartments in excellent locations to the clients.
- To provide sound construction with aesthetic design to the clients.
- To install best possible fitting and fixtures.
- To satisfy clients by expert oriented service
- To help solving the residential problem of Dhaka city.
- To perform social responsibility for a happy market.
Real estate business especially apartment projects has started in late 1970s in Dhaka city. But from early 80s the business started to grow and flourish. It present more than 250 companies are active in Business but 95% business is still dominated by of top 10 companies. Present market is growing at the rate 15% reasons for development of the industry.
The main reasons why real estate business or housing business develop0ed in Dhaka city are as follows:
- Scarcity of open space in the important areas of the city.
- Rapid increase in population of Dhaka
- Hazards of purchasing land
- Hazards of construction of building
- Decrease in the rate of bank interest
- Price of land and apartments is increasing day by day.
- Rent of the apartment is comparatively higher than the rent of privately constructed flats.
- Open market economy remittance of foreign currency is very easy.
Disadvantages of Housing business
- It increases traffic congestion
- It increase population problem
- It increases environmental population
250 companies are engaged with housing business or REHAB : Those are-
- Dom-Inno Builders Ltd.
- ABC Real estates limited
- Alliance properties limited
- ANZ properties limited
- Assurance Developments Ltd
- Asset Development and holdings ltd.
- Bay developments Ltd.
- Capital and Development Ltd.
- Eureka homes Ltd.
- Excellence properties Ltd.
- Green Delta housing and Development Ltd.
- Home Design Ltd.
- HRS Development and Holdings Limited
- Jamuna Builders Limited
- Japan garden city Ltd.
- Nagar Builders Ltd.
- Property Development.
- Protik Development Limited.
- Ventura Properties Ltd.
- Zaman Properties
- Zoha Properties
- Baridhara (Bashundhara residential area)
Most of the housing companies don’t follow the RAJUK code. Because of this, housing project are confronting many problem and risk. Examp: Bashundhara residential area etc. This project area is not properly permitted by RAJUK . Because Bashundhara Residential Area is a low land area. Every year this project are effected by flood. So, housing project should be maintained rajuk code.
Bashundhara Residential Area
The first and prime project popularly known as “Bashundhara” hear Bashundhara diplomatic zone has been developed on Several hundred acres of land. In this residential area, 15 blocks are there and among them 13 (A to M) blocks are already developed in planned and organized way and rest of N,P blocks are on process to develop.
Location of the project or Bashundhara residential area:
This area Located about two kilometer fro Zia international airport.
North side →A 300 feet wide RJUK road.
West side → Baridhara Diplometic gone of RAJUK
East Side → Rajuk purbachal project
Other Facilities are
There are more facilities in Bashundhara residential area:
- North south university
- International university of Bangladesh
- Viqurennessa Noon School and College
- Sunny dale English Medium School
- Apollo hospital
- Jamuha Future park
- Bashundhara Convention centre
Bashundhara residential area was established in 2004 as a residential area. A-F blocks are approved by Gov’t. The bashundhara group of companies started off as a real estate venture known as “Bashundhara” under the again of the groups first concern the East West property Development (Pvt) Ltd. This project turned out to be very successful and had helped foster the growth of trust and confidence of the urban people in “Bashundhara”.
Problems of Bashundhara residential area:
The in habitants of bashundhara residential area, they are confronting many problem those are:-
- Traffic problem
- Care parking problem
- Security problem
- Drainage problem
- Electricity problem
- Water supply problem
But everyday inhabitant of bashundhara residential area are confronting traffic prolem. Because this residential area has no bypass.
Drainage problem is the another problem of Bashundhara residential area. During on rainy season, rain water get stuck on roads due to lack of proper drainage system.
Bashundhara project should take proper steps to remove those problems.
- The roads of Bashundhara residential area should be repaired and maintained.
- The supply of electricity should be improved.
- No recreational system sacred to be found at Bashundhara residential area. Therefore, park and playground should be assembled.
- The drainage system of Bashundhara area is hot properly good. So, the authority should take step to develop this drainage system. As a result, every raing season, the rain water will hot get stuck on roads.
- Ratio of the head of the household :
|Head of the family||Frequency||Percentage|
After analyzing the data of my survey area Bashundhara Residential area, I can see that 100% households area male and most of the earner are male.
- Types of the family :
|Types of the family||Frequency||Percentage|
In Bashundhara residential area, 75% families are single family and 25% family are combined family.
- Duration of living :
This table shows that 85% people are living here for 1-3 years, 15% people are living 3-6 years.
- Ratio of family members:
Here, 60% people are male and 40% people are female.
- Relation of the members with the household:
- Age Structure of the family members :
- Education Level :
|Junior high School||24||19.2|
The home of my study area is Bashundhara residential area. Here, 24.8% one primary school, 19.2% are Junior high school, 8% are graduate level educated 8% are master level educated.
- Marital Status :
Here, maximum people group is married and 33% are unmarried.
- Occupation :
Here, 45.6% are student and they are not involving any occupation.
Monthly income :
Here, 66.66% People ware between 25,000-50,000 Taka per month.
- Information of Bashundhara residential area:
- Sq feet of flat :
|Sq feet of flat||Frequency||Percentages|
Here, 25% families are living between 950-1100 Sq feet flat and 60% families are living between 1100-1200 Sq feet.
- Source of taking loan:
Here, 40% families are taking loan from Gov’t Bank.
- Handover of flat : (Bashundhara project)
- Opportunity :
|Types of opportunity||Yes||No|
In my surveyed area, the inhabitants of Bashundhara residential area have got the satisfactory social infrastructure facility. But maximum are satisfied of those facilities.
- Problems of Bashundhara residential area :
In my surveyed area, inhabitants of Bashundhara residential area, they are always confronting traffic and drainage problem. The drainage system of this area is not well developed.
6. Effect of flood on this area:
In rainy season, the inhabitants of Bashundhara Residential area are effected by flood mostly, they are also confronting many risk that is earthquake. The drainage system of that area is not well developed. Because of this every rainy season, the rainy water get stuck on roads.
- Satisfied or Dissatisfied to live in area :
Here, 60% people are satisfied to live in this area. Because they get opportunity from here. But some times they faces many problems. The housing project of Bashundhara Group should take proper steps to remove this problems.
Base map of Bashundhara Residential Area
List of Photograph
Conclusion and Recommendations
Any development can not be produce without research and survey. At present many developed eauatries of the would give very importance on research and survey. They take the research and survey as a policy. So, I have presented about the impact of housing business in our society and for this I select “Bashundhara residential area.
Housing company or REHAB plays a important role for people. But sometimes, people and society forces some problem because of this housing company. I have presented this problems by this projects. For this I have selected “Bashundhara residential Area. Bashundharas resident and the hearest people are facing problem everyday because of housing company or Bashundhara project. So, housing company should take necessary steps to so tue this problems.
The drainage system of this area is not well developed. Traffic problem have been seen every day.
- The roads of the area should be repaired and maintained.
- The drainage system of bashundhara area is not property good. So, the outhority should toke step.
- Should be abstracted another road by housing project.
- Awareness about environmental pollution must be increased for overhall develop must of this bashundhara residential
- Communication system of this area is not up to the mark.
- Security system is not good should be strong security system.
- Banglapedia, Bangladesh Asiatic Society, Dhaka
- Bashundhara Group Office, Bashundhara, Dhaka
- University of Jahangirnagor
- Website: www.rehab.com, www.bashundharagroup.com
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Land use survey, 2009
Recommendation of futher Actions and further research:
According to this project/ research, I have got the present situation of “Bashundhara residential area.” This research has some himitation for the lack of time and scope. It someone wanth to research about this subject, have to follow these following ways for better results.
- Complete the land use survey with the help not map.
- More questions have to be included in the questionare so that we can easily collect the data.
- Computer use in data analysis mater the research more efficient.