Employee Grievance of Bashundhara Paper Mills Limited
1. Executive summary:
- A grievance is a formal statement of complaint, generally against an authority figure. A grievance is a sign of employees’ discontent with job and its nature.
- In short sense, grievances means any kind of dissatisfaction which adversely negative effects. The organizational effectiveness, productivity and relations.
- According to Michael jucius any discontent or dissatisfaction whether exposed or not, valid or not, arising out of anything connected with the company which an employee things, beliefs or even feels to be unfair, unjust or inequitable”.
- Our research type is descriptive research as well as exploratory research. Where we will find how different factors are influencing the employee grievence Bashundhora Paper Mills…
2. Origin of Report:
In Today’s environment, it is widely accepted that the employees should be allowed to express their dissatisfactions, whether it is minor problem or a serious problem. The grievance procedure is one of the means available to them for expressing their dissatisfaction.
Procedures for grievance are common in unionized organizations. In many countries labor unions typically include a committee known as the grievence committee, which deals with the complaints of member against management.
As it is an important part of any business organization, we like to make a research on employee grievance for our purpose.
3. Objectives of the report:
To find out a brief idea about motorcycle market & employee grievances of Runner Automobiles in Bangladesh
-To identify strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats of Runner.
-To know the why creates employee grievances & how to solve this problem.
3.1Sources of Information
To prepare this report we have collected data from both primary and secondary sources
-Conversation with different levels of employees of the organization.
-Face to face conversation with different top management of the company.
-Face to face interviews with various kind of people
Different type of brochures and books of the organization.
3.2Nature of the Study:
This study based on descriptive as well as explorative research.
Nature of data collection:
Here, we have used secondary and primary sources for collective qualitative as well as quantities data.
Sampling technique: We have used non probability sampling.
Sample size: 20 employees.
To Find The Employee Grievence of Bashundhora Paper Mills And it provides some major steps for the methodology implementation. In our country employers and employes are most important part of business industry. So, their attitude for their job and responsibilities for their employers for yhem was the major issue in this assignment.
A grievance is a formal statement of complaint, generally against an authority figure.
A grievance is a sign of employee’s discontent with job and its nature.
In short sense, grievances means any kind of dissatisfaction which adversely negative effects. The organizational effectiveness, productivity and relations.
In wider sense, a grievance may be defined as the representation by a group of worker or their unions to the management relation to terms and condition of employment, breach of freedom of association, non implementation of government, order and adjudication orders.
According to beach any dissatisfaction or feeling of injustices in connection with the ones employment situation that is brought to the notice of the management”.
According to Michael jucius any discontent or dissatisfaction whether exposed or not, valid or not, arising out of anything connected with the company which an employee things, beliefs or even feels to be unfair, unjust or inequitable”
5.1Causes of Grievances:
Grievances may occur for various categories of reasons as under:
1. Economic: Wage fixation, wage computation, over time, bonus, etc. Employees feel they are getting less than what they ought to get.
2. Work Environment: poor working condition, defective equipment and machinery, tools, materials, etc.
3. Supervision: attitude of boss towards the employees, perceived notion of favoritism etc.
4. Work group: standard relations or incompatibility with peers, feeling of neglect, victimization etc.
5. Work Organization: Rigid and unfair rules, too much too less work responsibility, lack of recognition, etc.
6. Complaints about job classification.
7. Objections to the promotional procedure.
8. Discharge of lay-off without any causes.
9. Inadequacy of safety and health services.
10. Transfer to another or department.
11. Improper job assignment.
12. Known able ability of materials in time.
13. Violation of contracts relating to collective bargaining.
5.2Steps in grievance handling:
At any stage of the grievance machinery, some members of the management
Must handle the dispute. In grievance redressal, responsibility lies largely w-
with the management. And, as already discussed, grievances should be settled
promptly at the first stage itself. The following steps will provide a measure
of guidance to the manager dealing with grievance.
managerial/Supervisory attitude to grievances
is important. They should focused attention on run away from them. Ignorance
is not bliss; it is the bone of industrial conflict. Condescending attitude on the
supervisors and managers would aggravate the problem.
Define the problem:
Instead of trying to deal with vague feeling of discontent, the problem should be defined properly. Sometimes the wrong complaint is given, By effective listening, one can make sure that a true complaint is voiced.
Find out the facts:
fasts should be separated from fiction. Though grievances result in hard feelings the effort should be to get the facts behind the feelings. There is need for a proper record to each grievance.
Analyze and decide:
Decision on each of the grievances will have a precedent
Effect. While on time should be lost in dealing with them, it is no excuse to be
Slipshod about it but it will surely alienate the workforce away from the mana-
Decisions taken must be followed up earnestly. They should be pro-aptly communicated to the employees concerned. Some of the common pitfalls
That management commits in grievance handling relate to:
- Stopping the scarce for facts too soon;
- Expressing a management opinion before gathering full Facts;
- Failing to maintain proper records;
- Arbitrary exercise of executive discretion ; and
- Settling wrong grievances.
6. Company Profile:
Bashundhara Paper Mills Limited is a pioneer among the private sector paper producers in the country. The enterprise, since its inception in 1993, is helping the nation save huge amount of hard-earned foreign exchange by cutting dependence on imported paper products.
To meet the growing demand of paper in the country, Bashundhara Group undertook to setup Bashundhara Paper Mills Ltd. for producing paper of different cultural and industrial grades. The mill commenced production in February 1997 with exceptionally high quality product having dazzling brightness, smoothness, strength-properties and packaging. BPML (Unit-1) has so far been producing White Writing and Printing papers, Colored Printing papers, different types of colored wrappers, Off-set papers, Newsprint and handmade Cigarette (Bidi) papers of International quality and enjoying market share of above 30% of the country. By providing substantial volume of quality paper, BPML (Unit-1) has succeeded to reduce the gap between demand and supply of paper in the country. This has resulted to curtail the volume of import of paper and to save the hard earned foreign currency. A team of professionals has been engaged in running mill since it had stepped in. This management team is of high commercial and technological caliber and assumes a real international status with profound degree of specialization in the field of paper production.
Organization Chart of BPML
Location: On the bank of river Meghna, Bashundhara Paper Mills (Unit-1) is located on the eastern side of Dhaka-Chittagong highway, about 29 KM off from zero point Dhaka.
Address: Meghnaghat, Sonargaon, Narayangonj
Erection Period: During 1995-1996
7.2Commercial Production: Soon after the successful commissioning of its three machines, the Mill Management took fervent approach to increase production gradually and to improve quality of its product to international standard. The factory runs round the clock, 7 days a week. The mill has commenced its commercial production in February 1997.
Manpower: Officer: 82, Staff: 93, Worker: 254, Daily Basis Casual Labourer: 115-130
Exceptionally high quality product (White Writing and Printing papers, Colored Printing papers, different types of colored wrappers, Off-set papers, Newsprint and local Cigarette (Bidi) papers) with dazzling brightness, smoothness, strength-properties and packaging.
Dynamic Up-gradation: Apart from day to day Mill operation and maintenance, the highly skilled team executed phase wise different up-grading works in different areas of
three Paper Machines including utility service on priority basis. As a result, annual production of BPML increased steeply in every year since 2000. Most of renovations were carried out in Paper machine No-1 & 3. Paper machine No-1 was speeded from initial 250m/min to present level of 325m/min and Paper Machine No-3 was speeded up from initial 150m/min to present level of 250m/min.
Carbonless Copy Paper Machine: In the modern civilized world Carbonless Copy Paper is one of the most commonly used items in the day-to-day life. Besides the writing and printing paper, the use of Carbonless Copy Paper is also expanding sharply. To create the demand of this grade of paper in the country, BPML has setup a new coater unit to produce 300 MT/Month carbonless Copy Paper. The project has been completed and a new product in the brand name of Bashundhara Carbonless Paper has been launched and marketed recently. So far, we received positive responses from the market and total demand is increasing day by day.
Effluent Treatment Plant (ETP):It is well recognized that each industrial unit has got its own impacts on the natural environment directly or indirectly. So, before taking up any project, the environmental aspects of the proposed development activities must be taken into consideration and due attention need to be paid to protect the environment. To meet up this aspect, an EMP has already been submitted to the Environment Department for obtaining clearance from DOE.
In pursuance of obtaining Environmental Clearance Certificate (ECC) from Department of Environment (DOE), Govt. of Bangladesh, the Management Committee of Bashundhara Group has already approved the proposal of ETP installation at BPML. ETP is expected to be commissioned very soon.
7.3Future Up-gradation & Renovation Program:
BPML team is now contemplating to take up a new action plan of up-gradation to be implemented by in-house expertise in future. The work assessments has been done and phased out for implementation without major shut down. The implementation phase will be carried out in such a convenient way so that production would not be hampered much and supply to market would be kept usual. The action plan has already been submitted to the management of BG for active consideration and approval. The detailed program is depicted in Annexure-A.
7.4New Expansion Program:
a)PP Woven & Sack Paper Plant: Since Bashundhara Group (BG) is one of the largest business conglomerates in Bangladesh, it has already expanded new horizon in food grain, sugar, fertilizer, cement & FMCG items. In order to fulfill the demand of the group and to substitute the imports, the management of BG has decided to set up one PP woven Bag Plant, having 60 millions PP bags per year within the premises of BPML. The project will be completed within October, 2010.
b)Exhaust Gas Heat Recovery Boiler: To meet up the current additional load demand for new CCPM, we need extra 4 MT/Hr steam for smooth running of the plant. Since availability of natural gas (TITAS) is not possible at the moment, we proposed to utilize huge amount of exhaust gas with enough heat content from our existing 7(seven) Gas generators. So, we made a contract with M/S. THERMEX (India) to set up exhaust heat recovery boilers (2 Units), having total capacity of 5 MT/Hr. steam generation on turn-key basis. The project will be completed within November, 2010.
c)New Carbonless Paper Machine: In view of increased demand of Carbonless Paper in market during recent months, we intend to procure one complete Carbonless Copy Paper Machine for BPML. In this connection, we had made several correspondences with M/s. QINGDAO FOCUS PAPER CO LTD, (GOODWILL GROUP) China through Foreign Purchase Division, BG. Finally, a contract is under process for finalization and in turn, L/C will be established in their favor for the TURN-KEY project.
7.5Products of BPML
- WRITING & PRINTING PAPER: Exceptionally high quality product having dazzling brightness, smoothness, strength-properties and package.
- WHITE PRINTING PAPER: GSM-60-120 SHADE: Standard Brilliant White.
- SIZE – 23’’x 36’’ / 20’’ x 30’’ / 25’’ x 35 ½ ‘’
- WHITE WRITING PAPER: GSM – 45-70 SHADE: Standard Brilliant White.
- SIZE – 23’’x36’’ / 20’’ x 30’’ / 26’’ x 32‘’
- PHOTOCOPY & STATIONARY PAPER: Exceptionally high quality product having dazzling brightness, smoothness, strength-properties and package.
- MULTIPURPOSE PAPER: GSM-70/80 SHADE: Standard Brilliant White.
- SIZE- A4 (210 mm x 297mm) OR 8 ½ ‘’ x 11 ¾ ‘’ / LEGAL (8 ½ ‘’ x 13 ½ ‘’ OR 8 ½ ‘’ x 14’’) / 9’’ x 12’’ OR 9’’ x 12 ½ ‘’ / 9’’ x 14’’ OR 9’’ x 13 ½ ‘’
- MULTIPURPOSE PAPER: GSM – 70/80 SHADES: Off-White.
- SIZE- A4 (210 mm x 297mm) OR 8 ½ ‘’ x 11 ¾ ‘’ / LEGAL (8 ½ ‘’ x 13 ½ ‘’ OR 8 ½ ‘’ x 14’’) / 9’’ x 12’’ OR 9’’ x 11 ½ ‘’ / 9’’ x 14’’ OR 9’’ x 13 ½ ‘’
- DECORATIVE & SPECIAL GRADE:- Different types and colors papers of international quality and package.
- COLOR PRINTING PAPER: GSM – 46 COLOR: PINK/GREEN/BLUE/YELLOW SIZE – 18’’ X 23’’
- LEDGER PRINTING PAPER: GSM – 64-80 SHADE: BLUE / AZURE
- SIZE – 17’’ X 27’’
- MG POSTER PAPER: GSM – 36/37 SHADES: Standard White.
- SIZE – 20’’ X 30’’
- PAKAGING PAPER:
- Different types and colors of Wrappers.
- WRAPPER: GSM – 40-100 COLOR: BROWN/GREEN/WHITE
- SIZE – 29’’ X 44’’ & 26’’ X 36’’ OR ROLL q 26’’ / 29’’ / 38’’ / 46’’ / 42 ½ ‘’
- LOCAL CIGARETTEE PAPER:
- Import substitute for Bidi Industries:
- BIDI PAPER GSM – 26 SHADE: Off-White
|Company Name:||BASHUNDHARA PAPER MILLS LTD|
|Facial tissue,pocket tissue,toilet tissue,napkin paper,kitchen towel,clinical bed sheet,white paper liner & media paper,NCR paper,Sanitary Napkin,offset paper,Newsprint paper,Biri Paper,A4 Paper|
|Registered Address:||125/A, Bashundhara R/A, Road # 2, Block #A, Baridhara, Dhaka, Bangladesh Zip: 1219|
|Number of Employees:||Above 1000 People|
|Company Website URL:||http://www.bashundharagroup.com|
Ownership & Capital
|Legal Representative/Business Owner:||Ahmed AkbarSobhan|
Trade & Market
|Total Annual Sales Volume:||Above US$100 Million|
|Export Percentage:||21% – 30%|
|No. of R&D Staff:||41 – 50 People|
|Contract Manufacturing:||OEM Service Offered|
Bashundhara Paper Mills Ltd. (Unit-1)
Meghnaghat, P/O: Newtown,
Mobile : 01199850865
Plot # 125/A, Block # A, Bashundhara R/A, Dhaka-1229
Phone # 88-02-8402008, Fax # 88-02-8401522, E-mail: email@example.com
Marketing and Sales Office:
Bashundhara Industrial Head Quarter , Plot: 03, Umme Kulsum Road,
Block : G, Bashundhara R/A, Dhaka-1229
Phone : 8401024, Fax : 8401227
Cell : 01819412836, E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
According to my opinion BPML has the followings problems-
- Lack of Motivational activities.
- Technological lack.
- The number of employee is not sufficient.
- This Local office space is not large as its operation.
- Lack in strength and integrity to take tough decision.
- Poor interest in coaching and developing workers.
- They believe in buying talent rather then developing them.
- These are some of the problems BPML.
- The factory should adopt motivational access system to make their functions fast and smooth like other private companies.
- In order to enlarge the Skill ness of factory employees or workers training program should be applied.
- For improving their Service, Complained cell should be formed in each factory.
- The authority should give more attention to the promotional activities. As the people become very much busy, they have not enough time to come to the local office and know about their employees.
- Making some poster and hanging on the wall and also some other placesWhere the massage can be reached to the target people.
- BPML should consider different factor like coat of living, taxation, family requirement etc.
- The globalization of business is forcing the managers to struggle with complex issues as they seek to gain or sustain competitive advantages. Bashundhara group is one of the largest groups of companies in Bangladesh. They enjoy outstanding recruitment and selection process for get their targeted employees.
- Employee grievance process was the right of the employees to take and fulfill their rightful demands from the company. It is the only process for the companies to find out the needs and demands of their employees to be more motivated to achieve goals.
- Bashundhora Paper Mills give preferences to their employees and give us chance to make a research about employee grievance. After our research we find that they need to make some activities to make their employees more motivated to achieve their goals.
So To all crown, it can be said successful employment system helped Bashondhara group to achieve one of the leading places on business area of Bangladesh.
- Web: www.bashundharagroup.com